The Porta Cornelia,
in the Campus Martius, was the entry gate of the Ælius bridge. In the foreground , Hadrian’s Mausoleum in a bird’s eye view.
The Porta Triomphalis,
close to the Porta Cornelia. Opposite, the Nero bridge that leads to the Vatican valley.
The Porta Septimiana
and the entrance to the Trastevere. The Via Septimiana
linked the Vatican valley to the Trastevere, it went alongside the Tiber and the Janiculum hill.
The Porta Portuensis
on the Via Portuensis. This gate allows to enter the Trastevere from the south side of the Tiber, opposite to the Emporium.
The Aurelian Gate
was the access to Rome for the travellers coming from the west coast. The great Aurelian road
linked Rome to Nice, it was probably built around 240 b.C. Out of the Aurelian Wall,
you notice the temples, altars and tombs, that always surrounded the sides of
the Roman roads outside the cities.
The Porta Ostiensis
on the Via Ostiensis. By going through this gate, the Romans were going towards the Aventine.
It consisted of two arcades flanked by two semicircular towers.
On the left side, notice the tomb of C. Cestius in a form of a pyramid.
The Porta Ostiensis has become St Paul’S Gate
and still exists today.
The Porta Ostiensis and in perspective the Vicus Portæ Raudusculanæ.
The Porta Capena
This gate opened in the old Servian wall,
that had been ringing Rome already since the 6th century BC.
It was through this gate that passed the famous Via Appia.
The Porta Tiburtina
in the region V of Rome, on the north-east Esquiline, that led from Rome to Tibur (today Tivoli). This gate still exists today
The Porta Prænestina
, today Porta Maggiore (Main Gate) was a double arch gate which carried the aqua Claudia - Anio novus,
aqueducts, the Aqua Claudia was at the bottom of the attic, the Anio Novus on the top of the attic.
Built in 52 by the emperor Claudius, this gate became integrated into the Aurelian Wall in 252.
This gate still exists today, and you can see on the outer side the republican tomb (30 BC) of
the baker Eurysaces and his wife Atinia, which appeared in 1838 during the restauration of the Porta Maggiore.
The Porta Latina
the gate owns its name to the Via Latina
the road that led towards south. It consisted in a single arch flanked by two cylindrical towers. As soon as we pass the Aurelian Wall,
the Via Latina is strewn with mausoleums and tombs.
The porta Flaminia
( Porta Flaminia
(today’s porta del Popolo) was the main north access gate to Rome.
The Porta Nomentana
( Porta Nomentana
The gate, built between 270 and 273 by order of emperor Aurelian,
presented at that time one single arch flanked by two half cylindrical towers,
of which only one is still standing today
The Porta Salaria
( Porta Salaria
Created to make an easy access to the Via Salaria Nova when coming from the Porta Collina
in the Servian wall, through the Via Salaria Vetus. It got reinforced under emperor Flavius
Honorius’ reign during the Vth century, but did not stop the invasion of Goth king
Alaricus Ith who ransacked Rome on 24th december 410. It was finally destroyed in 1921. Here is this gate according to a