In the foreground are the pylons
of Fl. Sept. Marcellinus, which, by the addition of a wall-link, were altered to form a massive entrance gate (15
facing the PropylŠa. It’s only in 1852 that the French archeologist Ernest BeulÚ discovered this gate, now called the BeulÚ gate
Slightly on the right of the picture, one notices a path leading to a gate which should have been the entrance to the Acropolis
before the construction of the BeulÚ gate, and probably as well after its construction. Going down the slope, on the left, visitors could see a small sanctuary, the sanctuary of Ăgeus
It had been necessary to dig a notch in the rock to be able to build this small building.